Damascus Christian School and Community Church response to COVID 19 emergency, March 13, 2020
During the course of the last 24 hours a lot has changed for the residents of the state of Oregon. As most of you may know, yesterday morning Governor Brown decreed an executive order regarding the coronavirus that has made a large impact on how people will live and work for the next 30 days.
In addition, via a press release late last night, the Governor has now ordered that all K-12 public schools in the state be closed starting Monday, March 16 through Tuesday, March 31.
The leadership of Damascus Community Church and Damascus Christian School have been closely monitoring the progression of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Our Safety Team, Executive Leadership Team, and the Elder Council / School Board have reviewed and prayerfully considered all the guidelines and recommendations presented by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Oregon Health Authority, Oregon Department of Education, and the Governor’s office related to the challenges that COVID-19 presents to our campus and people.
We are committed to the health and wellbeing of all our church and school families and staff. And although
there have been no presumptive cases presented by anyone associated with Damascus Community Church and Damascus Christian School, we feel in order to ensure the safety of our families, we must take all appropriate steps necessary to adhere to these guidelines.
Implementation of said guidelines take effect today Friday, March 13, 2020 and will remain in effect for 30 days. Details on how this will impact the activities and functions of the church and school are listed below:
- Sunday Worship Services on campus for this coming Sunday, March 15 have been cancelled. Although we will not be gathering in person, a live-stream of worship and message will be provided during the 8:15 service time on our YouTube Channel. You can also access sermon notes, audio and video on our website. A replay will be available for viewing soon after the completion of the service.
- Additional Sunday Worship Service cancelations with be considered on a week by week basis.
- Prayer Breakfast for the Muslim World this Saturday is cancelled.
- Christians In Action (CIA) Potluck this Sunday has been postponed.
- AWANA will be cancelled until April 19.
- The church office will remain open normal hours until further notice.
If the executive order is lifted or lessened during the course of the next 30 days, we will respond accordingly and continue to keep you informed in the days ahead through our website, Prayer Chain, and emails. For questions regarding individual bible studies, small groups or other events, please contact the respective leaders for those activities for updates. For all other questions, please feel free to call the Church Office at 503-658-3179.
Also, we want to encourage those who typically support the ministries of the church by providing tithes and offerings in person to consider using our online giving option during this time. Please use our Giving Portal to set up a one time or recurring gift.
- After today, the school and all school activities including practices for athletics and drama will cease and be suspended for the remainder of March. At this point, students should plan to return to class on Wednesday, April 1 unless otherwise determined before then.
- Career Day is cancelled.
- 4th Grade State Capitol Field Trip is cancelled.
- Fine Arts Fair will be rescheduled.
- Our previously scheduled Elementary Conferences will be rescheduled.
During this fluid time, parents and families have the right to make decisions they feel are most appropriate for their safety. DCC and DCS will do its best to meet the spiritual and academic needs of our families during this time. We will continue to provide updates as this situation evolves. If you have any questions, please call the School Office at 503-658-4100.
In closing, we would like to remind everyone that “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear…” (Psalm 46:1-2). Uncertainties abound as globally markets crash and fatalities rise as a result of COVID19. But as followers of Christ we are connected to a resource unknown to many. And although the fear around us is understandable, it should not lead to anxiety within us.
Instead, we have a place to turn in prayer, supplication, and even thanksgiving which brings peace beyond understanding (Philippians 4:6-7). In this present trouble, may we say with the prophet Habakkuk as he faced trouble:
“ …yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength…”
Let us stand strong in Christ, seeking opportunities to share the hope we have in Jesus as people around us need the Good News amidst the prevailing bad news.
- Articles from the Gospel Coalition
- The American Psychological Association created this resource to help manage anxiety around coverage of COVID-19:
- Oregon Department of Education Guidelines:
- Oregon Health Authority:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website:
- For national and international travel advisories consult the CDC travel website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html